6.28.2009

"Year One" and "Whatever Works" and "Food, Inc" and "Away We Go"

I don't want to keep writing about the films I've been going to see, but it's probably the only thing Micah and I have been doing that is at all worth writing about. Unless, of course, there is some interest in a play-by-play of yesterday's most disorganized water fight, or the delicious pizza we had after that.

But I want to record my impressions of these films. I skipped Away We Go when it came to blog posts because I liked it and felt that there was nothing more to say. But I still don't like Dave Eggers, and it's important to know why. But I don't know why. So, I'll leave it at that.

Year One- Did anybody else see the clear Apocalypto spoof throughout? The hunt at the beginning? The capture of the entire village? Slavery in a big city? Religious sacrifice? In any case, it was one of the few things worth paying attention to even thought it wasn't particularly well-done.

Food, Inc- Predictably, it made me want to change my eating habits, but I am a coward. I also don't have the means to do as much as I would like to. And also, it's hard to give up things like Cheez-its because they seem harmless, but they're not. And, the biggest message that the film conveyed was that you can hardly get away from the McDonalds of the world if you don't grow all of your own food because big fast food chains are also big buyers of produce which means that they control the market. I'm not making myself very easy to follow, but the point is that evn lettuce that we buy is McDonald's-controlled lettuce in a way.

Whatever Works- Larry David doesn't act. He plays Larry David with Woody Allen's preoccupations. All other parts are enjoyable.

1 comment: